Thursday, December 8, 2011

How can I get a job in account management within advertising?

I'm 22, have a wide range of experience within the media and have just accepted a place at City University to study a BA in Journalism starting this September.





Whilst I study I will also study a CIM Diploma in Marketing as eventually I want to work within account managment in advertising.





My question is this: How on earth do you get into account management? I've tried to get into advertising so many times and it just seems impossible!!





Is it because I havn't got a degree do you think?





If i'm honest I dont really want to go to university as i'm going to graduate with 34,000 pounds of debt, but it seems if I don't do it I will limit my opportunities for work, plus I also want to immigrate, which you need a degree for in most professions... Any advice much appreciated!





Thanks





Ashley|||So long as you're a good communicator there really shouldn't be a problem getting into account management. I can't say I think a degree will necessarily help, experience is generally the requirement over qualifications (I know seems ridiculous).





I've just found these two a/c mgr jobs with advertising - what would stop you applying for either of these right now? (so long as the location was good of course). Perhaps have a chat with some recruitment consultants, they can give you a quick low-down of the kinds of skills you'll need.





http://uk.tiptopjob.com/jobs/3174960_job鈥?/a>





http://www.jobsite.co.uk/cgi-bin/vacdeta鈥?/a>





You're not specifically job hunting right now, but if you're numerate, literate, know MS Office to a decent standard, can talk to people on the phone, can drive (as you'll need to visit clients), and generally have a flair for sales, you can bring your media experience too then bob's your uncle! There's no reason why you wouldn't get the job. I don't think it's as difficult as perhaps you might think.

No comments:

Post a Comment