Monday, December 12, 2011

I just graduated and I'd like to work at an advertising agency on the account side. Do I need a portfolio?

I'm interested in account management and client relations mostly. I know that creative side (graphic artist, copywriters) absolutely need a portfolio, but is it necessary to bring a portfolio to the interview for an account job. And if so, what should I put in it?|||No you don't need a portfolio. You will only need one if you want to work in the creative dept. for an agency. For the account side, since you just started, you really just have to be able to sell and talk. Make sure you know what your talking about. Have the confidence to back it up. Working on the account side you will be doing a lot of talking to the clients, so you want to make sure you are competent. Also, by sell, i don't mean actually selling a product. I mean you need to be able to know your account inside out, know what is working and what is not working. I work for an online digital agency, please feel free to email me with any questions.|||You can bring your course projects like marketing plans, assignmetns, and case studies. It is always a good deal to show that you have accomplished something in the field.


Something in hand to show is better than nothing.


I used to bring at interviews a folder with marketing assignments and course projects alongside with my graphic design portfolio - and on few occasions I did receive compliments from the HR interviewer - not that it was the most decisive factor, but it was a good thing to have it handy.


Have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment